Hey div ,
First of all, welcome to the Buttonizer Community 🎉
Thanks for reporting that issue. There appeared to be a caching issue on our side after an update we had deployed last week! While everything was reset in the background already, the cache prevented showing the new results on the user-end for some sites, yours included. Apologies for the inconvenience!
We've fixed the issue yesterday and Buttonizer should be visible again on all sites where this wasn't the case yet. I've checked your site and Buttonizer seems to be visible again 🙂
If you have any further feedback or questions, make sure to let us know 🚀